Thursday, February 10, 2011

Cream Filled Strawberries

Every year I buy Tuxedo Cake for Valentine’s Day. But this year I don’t feel like following this tradition at all. Instead, I am in the mood for a lighter dessert. I searched the web and found one that completely got my attention. These strawberries filled with cream are very easy to make and look very festive. A perfect light dessert for Valentine’s Day!

cream filled strawberries

The original recipe (from Joy of Baking) calls for mascarpone cheese. When I went to my local grocery store to buy it, I found that they only have mascarpone for Tiramisu (made with coffee), and it was not what I wanted. So I decided to try substituting mascarpone with cream cheese. And it worked! The strawberries were so delicious and I can hardly imagine how more luscious they could have been with mascarpone. One day I’ll try that too.

cream filled strawberries

So here is the recipe:

16-18 large strawberries (ideally, you would want strawberries that stay upright. But if they don’t, just cut off the green stems, so the strawberries stay straight on a plate)
1/3 cup cream cheese or mascarpone cheese
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons white sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

In a bowl, whip the cheese and whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and vanilla and whip more until stiff peaks form. Spoon the cream into a pastry bag.

Make an X cut in each strawberry, almost down to its base. Carefully spread apart the “strawberry petals” and fill each strawberry with cream.

cream filled strawberries

How easy was that! Enjoy a beautiful and delicious Valentine’s Day dessert!

As always, I am joining several link parties. And one of them is new. Sherry is hosting her first Home Sweet Home Friday. Please, visit her blog and see her beautiful antique Valentines.

I'm also joining Laurie for Valentine Party.

And the other parties I’m linking to are:

Foodie Friday @ Designs by Gollum,
Friday Favorites @ Simply Sweet Home,
Hodgepodge Friday @ It’s a Hodgepodge Life.

25 comments:

Bella said...

Hi Olga,
These look wonderful!! I found something similar on the internet, I was planning to do for Valentines day!! Like minds think alike:-))
Have a Great Weekend:-))
Bella

Sherry said...

Olga,
That looks delicious! I will absolutely have to try this. I know all of the guys will love them. Thanks for the recipe! Thank you also for joining me!!
Sherry

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Hi Olga! This not only looks luscious, but beautiful! The pastry bag makes the cream so pretty. I'm sure they taste fabulous!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh YUM!! me want one or maybe 2 ha ha!! Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

mariettesbacktobasics said...

Dearest Olga,

That looks so perfect for Valentine. Add some bitter-sweet chocolates and you got a heavenly match!
Mascarpone does give it a very special taste but you did solve it very well by substituting it this way. For less calories you even can substitute the cream cheese by Tofutti cream cheese (available at Trader Joe's) and have a heart healthy dessert (minus the heavy whipped cream...!).
Enjoy your Valentine's weekend!

Love,

Mariette

Masha said...

These strawberries are so mouth-watering. I know I am going to try them - just right for Valentine's! I love mascarpone cheese too (and Tiramisu), so I will see if I can find some for this recipe. What a great find, thank you for sharing it.

Erica said...

Dear Olga.....These look amazing, so perfect for Valentine's day. I didn't know what to make for Valentine's but you have inspired me. Thanks for sharing. :-) Love your photos.

Kapteinsgården Bauker said...

that was a super idea... shall use it in my next catering job! Thank you!

heartnsoulcooking said...

I love this idea and they look GREAT!!! prefect for Valentine's Day.
Became a new follower, come by and visit.

Cheri said...

Oohhh, this looks so good. I keep forgetting to try this. Thanks for stopping by my "first crochet hat" post. I made my first fingerless glove pattern last night and it is so long -hubs asked me if it was my "madonna" glove. I need one much shorter. Fun trying! New follower, btw.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

These are beautiful! Happy Valentine's Weekend:@)

Kathy said...

This looks quite delicious! I'm going to have to try this - I think I'll wait until Strawberry season -
Hope you have a great day,
Kathy

Bohemian said...

Olga thank you for this great healthier alternative for Valentine's Day, my Family should love it and it looks as pretty as I'm sure it's going to taste!

Dawn... The Bohemian

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Olga, they are so pretty! My mouth is watering. I definitely want to try this. Thank you for bringing it to my Valentine party. Happy Valentine's Day! laurie

Rose said...

these look so beautiful and easy to do. thanks rose

Sherry said...

I was right Olga! My husband saw your strawberries and he said I need to make them! LOL I will make them soon and link back to you for the recipe. Page bookmarked,:)
Sherry

Linda J. said...

These stawberries look perfect for a Valentine's Day Tea.

Anja said...

Dear Olga, what good looking dessert and so nice decorated on the table. We have to wait here a little bit until we get fresh strawverries, but I will remember doing it in the right season, here it is wintertime. Have a nice week too! Anja

Shirley said...

Dear Olga,
These look delish..I now have something extra to do for dinner tonight. My sweetie loves Strawberries so these will be a big hit!
Thanks for stopping by,
Yours Sincerely,
Shirley

Susan said...

Oh MY, Olga, those strawberries look delicious. Mmm mmm mmm

By the way, thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. My daughter will be happy to hear that you liked her homemade "brooch" card! Happy Valentine's Day! Susan

Designs on 47th Street said...

These do look very, very good,and certainly an idea to take into spring and summer as well. Thank you so much for sharing! :)

Donna

Pamela said...

Beautiful. Can't wait for strawberries to be in season. I'm following you--such a fun blog!

Anonymous said...

Ok no comment form Feb. & today is July 1st Canada Day. It's Strawberries & whip cream, Red & white. What a great idea for a Canada Day BBQ treat. <3 TY so much

Amanda said...

so pretty and yummy too! definitely have to try this out...

Amanda

Betty Stapleton said...

Hi, your strawberries look great. I made them for two teas that we have recently had and I used the mascarpone and they are to die for. The recipe was in the second last Tea Time. Just the two items. Iam sure yours are really great too. Anything with white chocolate is delicious. Enjoying your blog. Betty

Post a Comment