Monday, April 1, 2013

Ten Thousand Steps a Day



I once heard or read somewhere that to stay fit, a person should make about ten thousand steps a day. I thought it makes sense since it seemed like awfully a lot to me. But I doubted that I was meeting that requirement myself.


About a year ago, I received a free pedometer from my husband’s company that has a special health incentive program, and since then I’ve been wearing it every day. What is more, now it is my daily goal to walk ten thousand steps. And surprisingly I meet this goal most of the days without any extra sweat!


Here is how I do it:


I get 5,000 to 7,000 steps just by doing daily activities and house chores such as:


vacuuming

doing laundry (I hang it on a cloth line to dry)

picking up misplaced items and toys around my home

gardening, swiping walks, and watering outdoor plants in summer (I water with a bucket, not a hose)

washing my car

grocery shopping



I get another 2,000 to 3,000 steps by playing with my children in the front/back yard or in our local park. 


I also made it a part of my daily routine to take a short evening walk (15-30 minutes), which provides me with additional 1,000 to 3,000 steps.


It is easier to walk 10,000 steps a day during spring and summer months as the days are longer and I spend more time outdoors.


To get a bit of extra exercise during the short and rainy winter days, I exercise on my indoor bike. For a bonus, I read while pedaling.


Do you have a pedometer and keep track of your steps? Do you think you make 10K steps a day? How do you do it?


13 comments:

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Great little gadget! And of course a great idea. I'm sure I'm falling far short. But you're right, so much easier in the nice weather! It helps to have kids to chase after! Haha!

Karen Frost said...

Sounds like a good idea! I'll have to get a pedometer. I don't think I would make the goal on most days, but it would be something to try for!

Barbara F. said...

I used to have one, I can't believe how those daily chores add up. I love that you hang your clothes on a line outside, I miss that. xo

Bettina Bäck said...

That's good thinking! Reading while youre pedaling, I will try that next winter. It's so boring to sit on that bike indoors. Have a nice week!

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Olga,
You are at the peak of activity due to your little sons! But it is true, I read obviously the very same story. I've used my pedometer and at routine days where you are active, yes you meet that goal. I even used it for a routine shopping day, that is every three weeks or so when we drive to Atlanta (2½ hours one way) for stocking up at Tuesday Morning; Trader Joe's; Whole Foods; World Market Cost Plus and Costco. You would be surprised HOW much you still walk! I'm usually the one running back to the car at Costco, we park a bit from the entrance and I don't mind walking back to get the car, while Pieter goes through the check-off at the exit. That way you do compensate for sitting at least 5 hours in the car. I will do the happy dance once I've mastered scanning all the slides that still need to be done, for making them digital. It is overwhelming and you cannot but SIT down for doing them. Looking really forward to the end of it.
Hugs and keep up your very healthy lifestyle!
Mariette

Mindy said...

I have one that I was wearing every day two years ago. Then for some reason I stopped. I put it on for the first time again about a week ago. You're right, it's much easier to get those numbers up during the warmer weather. But it's pretty amazing how far you walk just doing the daily things around the house that you mentioned.

anna said...

Hi Olga,
My daughter is always telling me to get one. It would be nice to know how many steps one takes a day.
It's funny, I also water my outdoor container plants with a bucket, and for the same reason.
I will definately go and get myself a pedometer.
Have a great day!!!

Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Olga
I have one but have not put it on yet. Interesting to see how your steps accumulate over a day.
Judith

Sarah said...

What a fantastic idea! I do have a pedometer but don't use it. I think I will get it out and try this week and see. Have a good day! :)

Olive said...

I cut grass today so I made it today. Walking a puppy four times a day does not hurt either. You are doing a great job!

Sheila said...

Hi Olga. I've always wanted to get a pedometer so I will and when I've lost the 10 pounds I plan to lose before my niece's wedding in July I will let you know. Thanks for the inspiration!

AgueroSandra said...

Hola Olga gracias linda ☺. y esto del podómetro es genial pero viendo lo que e engordado últimamente creo que no llego a estar cerca de los 10.000 pasos ☺... es mas creo siempre no parar en casa pero no pude ir a caminar en estaos últimos tiempos y tampoco encuentro una profesora de Yoga que este cerca , entonces estoy lejos de esa meta no? ☺.... pero me encanta tu esfuerzo y si, seguro que tendré que encontrar el tiempo y el esfuerzo tu idea es genial gracias besitos.

Micupoftea~ said...

Yes...I try to get 10,000 steps per day. I used to use a pedometer, now I know I just need to walk a certain amount of time and it will be 10K. Walking is wonderful, relaxing, and it is something I can stick with!
Happy weekend :)

Post a Comment