Monday, May 16, 2011

Tea in the Garden

I have a beautiful tree in my front yard that is in full bloom now. What is unique about this tree is that its blooms start purple, then turn lilac and eventually white. Unfortunately, I don’t know its name. Perhaps someone can help me to identify it.



I thought I’d better find a moment to enjoy the splendor of my tree before its blooms fade out. Having a cup of tea by the tree is a perfect way to do so, especially since I have a new tea cup to enjoy as well.



I received this tea cup for my birthday. It traveled all the way from Denmark. Made by Royal Copenhagen, it has “Blue Fluted” pattern that was adopted back in 1775.





What a delight to relax by this tree with a cup of tea, a slice of banana bread, and some grapes.



Thank you for stopping by and if you have a moment, please visit these tea parties and their gracious hostesses.

Martha's Favorites @ Martha's Favorites,
Tea for Two @ The Plumed Pen,
Teacup Tuesday @ Artful Affirmations,
Teapot and Tea Things @ Silken Purse,
Teapot and Tea Things @ Breath of Fresh Air,
Tea Time Tuesday @ Rose Chintz Cottage,
Teatime Tuesday @ Lady Katherine Tea Parlor

as well as Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home.

34 comments:

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Olga,
I am so happy to have you join me for tea! What a pretty background your purple blossomed tree makes. It is soo very pretty and the tea cup, banana bread and grapes make such a charming picture! I have no idea what kind of tree that is but I'm sure one of these ladies will be able to tell you. Your tea cup is wonderful and the little blossom snuggling up to it very sweet. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week.

Blessings,
Sandi

Olive said...

Olga, I have no idea what tree it is but it is very pretty. Your teacup goes very well with those flowers. hugs♥O

Masha said...

You must have had a nice peaceful time. That shrub is very interesting, it looks a lot like impatiens sodenii (poor man's rhododendron) but I haven't seen one with blue flowers, so perhaps my guess is wrong... That tea cup looks lovely.

deebriese said...

Just beautiful..It does not look real.. Good for you.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I do not know what kind of tree is but it is gorgeous! I have never seen anything like it, full of the lavender, purple and white blossoms!

Beth said...

Olga, What a gorgeous bush - beautiful flowers! I love your new tea cup too and your photos are stunning. A nice setting for a cup of tea and a nosh!
Blessings, Beth

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

What a beautiful setting. I've never seen that shrub before. It's wonderful. Your teacup is perfect. What inspiration!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Your colourful tree is the perfect backdrop for your tea today Olga and your new teacup is very nice.
I hope you do find out the name of the tree, it's quite unusual.
Judith

Anonymous said...

I have this bush growing in my North Florida yard. It blooms here in March and April. I don't know the proper name, but I've always heard it called "Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow", most likely due to its changing colors. Yours is beautiful.

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

Hi Olga,
I wish I knew your trees name, it is gorgeous, so big and so loaded with blooms! Your cup is a beauty and those grapes are giant, yummy!!
Hugs,
Bella

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Hello Olga,
I am sorry, I don't know the name also. But I gave Mariette a hint, she knows lot of plants and maybe also the name of the outstanding tree. I wish I could have one here, so pretty. You did right to make a tea time with this gorgeous flowers as background. Royal Copenhagen is a wonderful design and matches perfect for that space. Thank you for having me for this delightful tea.
Best greetings, Johanna

Mindy said...

I like to think there isn't a plant I don't know, but you have stumped me! It's soooo pretty and I'd love to know what it is!

Mariette said...

Dearest Olga,

Your beautiful tree Brazil raintree is the Brunfelsia Pauciflora; common name is also yesterday-today-and-tomorrow.
You can look it up here: http://bit.ly/mjYWUH
http://bit.ly/in7wQb
It is very easy to propagate from tip cuttings, taken in spring or summer.
BUT be very careful with your two precious little boys, as the plant is poisonous and its berries are very toxic!
If I would live near you I would ask you for some cuttings though; it is a beauty with its pansy -like flowers.
How clever of your to match it up with the Royal Copenhagen china; the white throats could have been painted off the Brunfelsia!

Lots of love,

Mariette

Terri said...

I am so glad that Mariette knows about your plant! That is very useful information. It is really gorgeous. Your tea setting outdoors too is lovely. The tea cup is beautiful! I love the blue and white very much.
Hugs,
Terri

yvette said...

A beautiful picturesque afternoon tea in your garden, that flowering tree is just gorgeous such 'dreamy' backdrop.

Maggie said...

Hi Olga,
visiting you today courtsey of Rose Chintz Cottage.
Your blue & white Royal Copenhagen cup and suacer are delightful, what a lovely gift to receive.
Tea in the garden is always a pleasure too.

Unknown said...

Lovely flowers and yum to the grapes and Banana bread. This cup has it's very own style happy B'day to you.

Love Dawn xx

Princesa Nadie said...

Hello!
I am really glad meeting you,yor post is lovely!
Hugs

crochet lady said...

That is an absolutely beautiful bush. The blossoms remind me of pansy blooms.

sheila @ Elements said...

Your tree with those beautiful blooms are just gorgeous! I wish I knew what kind it was but I'm afraid I don't. Love your tea cup too by the way! :)

Donna said...

What a gorgeous tree! I've never seen one like it, which I knew its name! And what a beautiful place to enjoy a cup of tea and a snack:)

Southwest Cottage Designs said...

What a beautiful tree! I love the tea setting and always enjoy visiting your blog.

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

Hi Olga,
Thanks! I have enjoyed you and your blog so much too:-)
I am gald you learned what your bush is, whoever planted your garden had some good taste! Lucky you!!
and...I am surprised no one else thinks those are the biggest grapes ever:-)
Have a Great weekend!
Hugs,
Bella

Beeutiful by Design said...

Lovely! I'm in love with the blue and white china - and the bananna bread (but that maybe b/c I'm on lunch break) - thanks for sharing!

Miss Merry said...

What a wonderful plant - I am so glad that someone was able to help out with the name! Your cup and saucer match so perfectly with the lovely flowers. What a gorgeous location to enjoy a cup of tea.

Betty said...

Olga, beautiful photos as always. Such a lovely tea table, I love banana bread, thank you for the recipe. Maybe I'll make it in the morning. And what a wonderful tree, I wonder if they would thrive in the Illinois climate. Hugs

Unknown said...

Hi there, I am a new follower from Tea in the Garden...I am just loving this post and look forward to sharing more tea with you in the future. Thanks for the recipe

Tea in Texas said...

Oh so wonderful to read your post and see the beautiful photos. I am glad you shared your lovely tree for it is so gorgeous with the unusual blooms. You beautiful bithday gift of the Royal Copenhagen cup and saucer is perfect with the colors of the blossoms. I really enjoyed your blog and seeing the tablecloth on the side.

Bernideen said...

Looks like Mariette solved the mystery - it sure is pretty! Lovely blog!

Wanda Lee said...

Good for you Olga!

Marriet solved the mystery of the beautiful mystery tree.., And what a beauty! So perfect with last week's exquisite tea vignette.., I just loved it; so fresh and pretty and I love blue and white dishes. ~ The bananna bread and grapes looked yummy also!

~ (I was out of the office, after last weeks tea's for several days, so I'm much later getting by to visit than I would have preferred);

..,Yet I must say what pure delight it was to have you partake once again with TTTT and also with my 83rd, 'Tuesday Tea For Two'!..,

Thanks so very much for joining us and we look forward to hopefully having you join us once again in a few days; it's always a pleasure!

Cheers and hugs from Wanda Lee
@ http://theplumedpen.blogspot.com
and also
@ http://silkenpurse.blogspot.com

Dogmom Diva said...

Hi Olga, I just found your lovely blog..what a beautiful tree that is! And your new teacup and saucer and gorgeous! I love blue and white china..and from Denmark even, lucky girl!

Hope you stop by to say hi, I am a new follower!

Barb

PS I am in Southern California, whereabouts are you??

Sheila said...

Olga - the combination of the lovely tree covered in blossoms with the beautiful birthday teacup is so special - this could be a feature page in the "Victoria" magazine! Enjoy your cup of tea in the garden.

The Charm of Home said...

Olga,
This is beautiful! I love the tea cup. I have tea pot that looks to be a copy of this pattern but it is made by Johnson Brothers.
Have a great week!
Sherry

Mariette said...

Dearest Olga,
Today I got my flower posted and I've linked back to you as both are poisonous exotics.

Have a great remainder of the week.

Love,

Mariette

Post a Comment