Thursday, October 4, 2012

Ukrainian Countryside


From the capital of France, I’m going to take you to a completely opposite world – a tiny village in Ukraine. My grandparents spent their entire lives there, raising their children, working on the land and tending to farm animals. A simple way of living. And a very difficult one too!

They are long gone, and with their passing away destruction began to take its toll. It’s hard to believe that this empty estate overgrown by trees and grass once was a happy place filled with life, children’s laughter, mooing, bleating, clucking, etc.

   

In this small hut, which now has almost collapsed, my mother and her five siblings grew up. I spent many summers here too. There were only one room and a kitchen with an earthen floor. The water always came from the well. Luckily, during my time, there already was electricity, but it wasn’t there when my mom was growing up.

Despite the lack of daily-life necessities, I remember it as a very happy place.

  

My grandfather built another house (I remember it being referred to as “the new hut”) on the estate in hope that one of his children will make home there. But no one did. Yet “the new hut” was practical when there were family reunions. My grandparents, however, never moved in there; they preferred their old tiny hut.

I love visiting my grandparents’ place whenever I go to Ukraine. It holds so many happy memories. I feel a bit sad that all that once was there is now gone forever. But that’s the way the life is! 

16 comments:

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

A nice trip down memory lane with you Olga. At least the things you remember are still standing and not a new and busy area of houses and shopping. This is what became of the farm and animals I fondly remember growing up.
Judith

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I have so enjoyed this visit with you to a place so far away. How special the memories you have shared. I love seeing the photos.

valerietilsten59.blogspot.com said...

Wonderful photos of your old family home.
What a shame that someone cannot bring it back to its former glory..
I know that the winter's in the Ukrain are tough and very very cold, but they have wonderful summer's.
I would love to visit someday.
My friends come from near Liviv and surroundings.
Really nice post Olga.
thank you for sharing.
val

Barbara F. said...

The land and property is still very beautiful, Olga. You have wonderful memories of your time spent there. I enjoyed this post very much. xo

Heather - The Good Life said...

Beautiful photos and it sounds like you have such fond memories of a much loved home. Hope you have a wonderful day, Heather

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

What an amazing place, Olga! So beautiful. You did an amazing job photographing it. I can only imagine how you felt being back there.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Olga,

For this post I do admire you even more! So straight from the heart and so pure. The country side is very familiar with where I grew up, rural and animals around always. Yes, the homes were small back than and nothing but poverty but people were rich in LOVE, HIGH MORALS & TRADITION. That is often lacking nowadays... What happened with the ownership of the property? Did everybody abandon it and leave? Knowing that your Mom is in the US near you but what about her siblings?
Hugs to you,
Mariette

A Kitchen Witch said...

That fruit, Gutui, on the tree is one my husband and I had at his mom's in Romania. She had preserved it in a sweet syrup and it was so good.

Mindy said...

Wow, how special that you're able to go back and visit. And how nice that, despite their hardships, it was always made to feel like a happy home for you. There's proof that no matter how little you have, you can make a happy life. Such a nice post - and a good reminder for us all.

Vacuum Storage Bags said...

This is a Paradise! I remember our place in the province, so so amazing and relaxing!

Unknown said...

This is a lovely post. I would have loved to grow up there. I see happiness in all the photo's. Good memories that last a lifetime.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

What a beautiful place to visit! It must have been so wonderful to spend time there when you were growing up. Lots of room to roam! And now filled with cherished memories. Best wishes, Tammy

talesfromagarden said...

Beautiful post and lovely photos too.What a wonderful thing your Grandfather did to build a second home for someone to live in!Though there is nobody there now yet who looks after those geese and tends the fruit trees.A lovely place that holds treasured memories for you!

Erica (Irene) said...

My Grandparents were from that area in the Ukraine....I'm sorry that I never have visited there yet.... they were from a Village called Sachnovshyna (not sure how to spell it in English) gave you ever heard of it????

Olga Poltava said...

I want to thank you for your kind comments. A few readers asked me questions about this place. I’m sorry I’m answering only now.

I think one of my uncles owns the property. The family didn’t even try to sell it as no one would buy it. There are many empty neighboring estates around. As you could see from the pictures, that part of the village doesn’t even have asphalt roads. Once it starts raining, it’s really hard to get there other than by foot or on tractor. The young people moved away to cities or at least better parts of the village, closer to the main road. And the old folks, like my grandparents, passed away.

There are still a few households remaining, but those are mostly folks in their twilight years. They still keep animals and grow vegetables. They depend on their own labor and hard work even in old age.

My cousin, who lives in the same village, attends to the place once in a while. He and his children cut the grass there to be used for hay. Though nobody takes care of the orchard, it still produces fruits. While we were there, we picked a big bag or apples and walnuts.

It’s sad that no one lives at my grandparents’ place, but on the other hand I’m glad it was not sold and I can go and visit it occasionally. After all it’s not only my grandparents who lived there, but my great grandparents as well. That’s the place where I have my roots!

Olga Poltava said...

Hi Irene, no I haven't heard of that village. The Poltava region in Ukraine is very beautiful. I hope you'll have a chance to visit it one day.

Post a Comment