Thursday, October 18, 2012

Evening Krakow

Dear friends, thank you for your kind comments on my previous posts about my trip to Europe. It was a fantastic time of my life and it’s so wonderful now to experience it again by sharing the pictures and stories with you!

From Ukraine, my husband and I took a plane to Warsaw, the capital of Poland. There we changed planes and flew to Krakow, another old Polish city.

The purpose of our visit to Poland was a friend’s wedding that was to take place in a small village two hours by car away from Krakow. We, however, arrived to Krakow a few days prior the wedding, so we could explore the city.

It was late evening when we finally got to our hotel, which was located near the Main Market Square of the Old Town.

Neither my husband nor I had been to Poland before, so despite being tired from the flight, we set off to explore the city. We walked narrow streets to the Main Square, which dates back to the 13th century.  I was absolutely fascinated by its grandeur!







We walked around the square and strolled inside the Cloth Hall, a Renaissance building in the middle of the Square.  




There were many beautiful skillfully crafted things to explore (and buy) inside. Probably because it was a long tiresome day for me, I didn’t buy anything though I was particularly drawn to a few booths with gorgeous amber jewelry.

I fell in love with Krakow right away! In the dark of the night, everything seemed so perfect. A clean and quiet town, alive with pedestrians but hardly any cars. The majestic toll of the bell from the tower of the Cloth Hall announced the time, and it utterly felt like a town from another time!



The following day, when the sun came out and I saw the city in a different light, I was not any bit disappointed. On the contrary, I was certain it’s going to be one of my favorite cities in the world!

More about daylight Krakow next time.
Until then,

Olga  


11 comments:

Bella said...

Hi Olga,
Beautiful!! I am so glad to hear of your wonderful trip and that you are sharing it with me:-)
Hugs,
Bella

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Such a beautiful European city! How wonderful to see it first at night. Your photos are just beautiful! Looks like a wonderful time!

Nancy @ The Headmistress said...

Hello, Olga! Thank you for posting these exquisite photographs! The Headmaster and I were in Krakow in summer 2001 and were absolutely enchanted! I would sooo love to go back some day! Thanks again for beautiful memories!
Nancy

val's alentejo blogspot.com said...

Hello Olga,
Your trip to Europe all sounds so wonderful..
Your evening photos of Krakow are fantastic.
i have never been to Poland.
thank you
val

Shirley said...

Hell Olga,
So happy you came by for a visit. It is always so nice to see a comment from you. It's hard to keep up with so many bloggers today but you have always been and will be one of my favorite..I wish I were not afraid to fly as I would love to travel Europe...the earth is such a big beautiful mass of wonder. I enjoy seeing your travel pictures but my favorite post was when you visited back home..love,love that post! Wishing you well..

Shirley said...

woops...sorry about that..it was meant to say Hello, my finger thought it pressed two O's...

Sheila said...

Krakow looks like a beautiful city even at night. It must have been wonderful to experience being in a new country and enjoying a wedding at the same time. I'll look forward to seeing Krakow by day.

20 North Ora said...

What a gorgeous city and what beautiful photos! Thanks for taking us on your trip with you.

Judy

AgueroSandra said...

Cuanta belleza junta!!!!que placer un gran paseo,gracias por compartir y los que no podemos viajar podemos disfrutar de este lindisimo paseo ♥ y gracias por tu visita besos.

umesh said...

Nice post and beautiful photos.thanks for posting it.

Anonymous said...

Piękne zdjęcia ze starego Krakowa - dawnej stolicy Polski! Pozdrawiam. Ela z Łodzi

Post a Comment