
I love to read. When I was a college student, I always read on the go. I would read in the lecture hall in between lectures, at the cafeteria chewing my lunch, or at the bus stop. For a bookmark, I would use a grocery shopping receipt or a small piece of newspaper. Now, however, my reading experiences are totally different. I like reading in the tranquil atmosphere (when my toddler has his nap that is) of my living room. I would sit in the soft chair, sometimes with a cup of tea, and enjoy my book. I found that a beautiful bookmark contributes to a joyful reading experience as well.
Nevertheless, I am too frugal to spend money on things like bookmarks, so I mostly use cute postcards for the purpose. But recently I came up with the idea of these handmade bookmarks. I had some leftover crochet thread, so there weren’t any expenses involved. I used an easy crochet pattern from one of my magazines. I also starched my bookmarks to make them harder. And now I have three new bookmarks.
With the set of pretty bookmarks I am all ready for the Summer Reading Challenge hosted by Susan at A Southern Daydreamer. I know what kind of books I would like to read, but I don’t have the exact titles yet.
This summer, I would like to read
- A good mystery. I am a big Agatha Christie fan, so it is probably going to be another of her novels.
- A romantic story. I know it’s going to be a classic. Jane Austen perhaps.
- A biography. I prefer fiction, but sometimes I enjoy reading biographies.
- A few books by John Steinbeck. I want to become familiar with this author’s works because I plan a trip to the places of his life in Salinas, CA this summer.
- A book in Ukrainian. These past years, I’ve worked so hard learning/improving my English that I almost neglected my mother tongue. Shame on me.

Also, to show off my new bookmarks, I join Donna at DC's Creations for WIP Show and Tell.
16 comments:
I used to love Agatha Christie. I am embarassed to say I haven't read a real novel or a good book since before I got pregnant three years ago. I love it that you will try to read a book in your native language. That is always such a challenge for me.
Hi Olga, Clever work on the bookmarks they look great.. Love the colors too:-) I used to love to read Steinbeck. It would be fun to visit his hometown. Trips like that are always fun!
Bella
Hi Olga...those are just exquisite!! Did you just make up the pattern or did you have something to follow? I would love to make one of those.
I love to read too...Agatha Christi, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen... all of them. When my children were little I read a lot! Now, we are on the go so much and school takes up so much time (homeschooling) that I don't have as much time.
I've always got a book in progress though..:o)
Beautiful bookmarks. I have been considering joining that reading challenge as well. Although my books lately are homeschool books to read with my son.
So glad to see you are a new follower to my blog... WELCOME!!
Hello Olga,
Your bookmarks are just beautiful! How nice that you know how to crochet. I never learned, even though my mom does beautiful crochet work. A belated thanks for your nice comments on my trays. We just got back from vacation last night, so I am trying to get caught up on things! I will hopefully upload photos of our trip to Paris today, so maybe you can stop by if you get a chance!
Hola Olga... uhmm, pretty name! Wanna know a little secret? I'm an "Olga" too... yes, believe it or not... ;) In another note now, love those bookmarker, they're very pritty and practical too!
Have a lovely day Olga
Cielo
Hi Olga....Thanks for visiting and for becoming a follower! I love your bookmarks! Your pizza's look so delicious too! Have a wonderful day!~Hugs, Patti
Hi! thanks for checking out my blog. my mother was from europe and did alot of hand work. at sometime i plan to show thison my blog. love A. Christi. will follow your blog. rose
Hi Olga,
Love those pretty bookmarks! I think I am going to join in on this reading challenge. I have several books I would like to read this summer. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!
Sherrie
A View of My Life
I have always been avid reader till I got this blog. Now I do not read as much. Blogging takes a lot of time and I am not the fastest kid on the block. I love you idea and designs for your bookmarks.
Those are lovely bookmarks, Olga, and what a sweet idea. The colors are really enticing.
Hello again Olga - You mentioned you had neglected Ukrainian. I am so impressed that you write such an interesting blog and your use of the English language shows clarity and mastery. Did you study English in school? The bookmarks are so intricate - yes the setting and the experience of reading is an important part of the experience - especially if it's one you just can't put down.
Olga, I love those bookmarks; they are so pretty it makes me want to read a book just so I could use the bookmark.
Very pretty bookmarks! I have some crocheted things that my mother made. I would like to starch them but I don't know what kind of starch to use. I don't think spray starch would work. What sort of technique do you use?
Hi Olga! I really like your categories! I am trying to add a little variety to mine as well! Oh my...your bookmarks are...BEAUTIFUL!!! Those make my scrap of paper that I use...look really pitiful!!
nice collection of books to read, love the book marks, they are beautiful! I haven't crocheted in years
Helen
Post a Comment